Wakey Wakey

Sunrise

Jasmine Riggins, Staff Writer

It’s 7:30 in the morning, the sun is just now peaking through your window lighting up your face. You get up slowly, grabbing the first pair of clothes you see, dreading the long day ahead, as you won’t get home until 4 in the evening. As teenagers make friends, find jobs, and participate in outside activities like sports and academic clubs, their time is limited to a few hours outside of school to manage their social lives.

“I would prefer if school started earlier and ended earlier, because people usually have more things to do during the day, so this would give us more free time,” sophomore Lauren White said.

Students would have more time to hang out around their house, go out to eat, do homework, and have more time to just relax before the next school day. Most activities take place during the afternoon hours, so by school getting out earlier, this gives students more time to be more active in their community and school.

At first, most teens wanted the start time pushed back so that they could sleep in an extra hour or two, but there are arguments to keep the start of school at the same time.

“If school were to be pushed back, I would want it to be pushed back until 8 am, but I would rather that it end early,” junior Kennedie Jackson said.

If school ended earlier, it would give students time to catch up on homework, and it would also give them time to spend time with family and friends. But on the other hand, if school were to be pushed back, students would be able to sleep in, causing them to be well rested, ready for the next day.

Although school does start fairly early, and quite possibly even earlier soon, the time does not seem to affect people.

“I don’t mind waking up early for school, it gives me more time during the day to be active, and I have senior release so I already get out earlier,” senior Christian Reyes said.

To delay the school day start or not, it’s in the hands of higher ups, but that doesn’t stop the debate.