Taking A Fresh Step

Alexis Isom, Staff Writer

The pressure is on.

During the first two days of school, volleyball tryouts were held during and after school in the gymnasium. Freshman from various middle schools worked diligently for spots on the Freshmen,  JV , and even Varsity teams.

“Tryouts were really good. I already knew a bunch of people and the coaches already knew me,” freshman Makkedah Thompson said.

The new players were really feeling the stress, but with the help of future teammates their anxiety didn’t last long.

“I was really nervous at first, but after I started to get to know all of the other girls I started opening up to them,” freshman Mya Phillips said.

There were several skill tests the players had to undergo. Some things were more difficult than others.
“Learning new footwork for positions we’re not used to was definitely difficult,” freshman Yazmine Webb said.

There will be many games and tournaments for the girls this season. It’s to say the least that they will be busy.
Will the pressure overpower the excitement? Will the teams prevail and be victorious?“I think we could actually go to the playoffs,” Varsity team member and freshman Alivia Cheatham said.

District games will begin next Friday at Garland High School. Information on tickets can be found here https://www.garlandisd.net/content/ticket-sales.